2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 lbs. rump roast - trimmed of fat
2 stalks celery - chopped
1 large onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
2 cups beef broth
20 whole peppercorns
1 whole bay leaf
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 carrots - sliced
2 potatoes - peeled, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1. Brown roast in butter in Dutch oven, then remove meat from Dutch oven.
2. Sauté in celery, onion, garlic, parsley, and thyme in Dutch oven for 5 minutes, then return meat to Dutch oven.
3. Add the beef broth, peppercorns, bay leaf, and salt to Dutch oven and bake in a 325 degree oven, covered, for 4 hours, basting every 1/2 hour.
4. Remove roast from Dutch oven.
5. Strain stock into bowl; discard vegetables.
6. Using 2 forks, shred roast into bite-size pieces.
7. Pour reserved stock over beef in Dutch oven.
8. Add carrots, potatoes, and salt to Dutch oven and bake in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.
9. Drain stock from Dutch oven and add enough beef broth to stock to make 3 cups.
10. Whisk stock and flour together in saucepan and simmer until thick.
11. Pour gravy over meat and vegetables.